Friday, February 25, 2022

Hard Work and Endurance Gremlins



 It's been busy at the ranch these days.

Shortly after closing, some guy showed up and did an inspection for the insurance company. We then received a list of "corrections" needed in order to keep our homeowner's insurance.

Most of these things were straightforward and not unexpected, even if time consuming. There was a lot of junk laying about and the pool needed to be taken the rest of the way down for the winter. The roof was arguably in really bad condition and we knew that.

What wasn't expected was the item telling us we had to fix the broken windows. Uhhh.... There are no broken windows. It took a bit, but we realized that, with the AC units in the windows and boards above them as wind blocks, it might appear windows are broken.

Now, I don't know how it is someone can see an AC unit hanging out of a window and think the window must be broken but here we are.

In service of all the work to do around here, I went and bought a dump trailer. It's not a cheap thing, but boy is it handy. Already we have used it 5 times, in less than a month. I was at the dump 3 times in the first week alone. And there's more to do yet. Hopefully we've removed enough to satisfy the insurance company for now, because I don't know how much more work we can get done before their deadline.


While we were doing all that, I had the driveway paved with asphalt and the roof on the house and carport replaced. The driveway took 2 days. The roof nearly a week. The roofing was a nightmare. The sellers had never done the roof properly, simply adding shingles on top of what was already there. Which leaked anyway. Since the roof has been done, we've discovered the vent fan in the bathroom actually works. The carport roof had 2 layers of shingles *and* a layer of cement tile, far more weight than it rightly ought to be trying to handle. The carport roof is visibly bowed due to the weight. At least now the roof is a darn sight lighter than it was. And doesn't leak.

For my next trick, we're looking in to having solar installed. The electric bill around here is absurd. Not to mention, the electric around here is a bit unusual and needs some serious upgrading to be considered safe. So that's the next thing there.

There was some pipe to be laid, as the water pipe supplying the barn had burst. I rented a small trencher, only to have the thing never manage to run right and get nothing done. In the end, I ended up trenching by hand with my pick, then laying and gluing the pipe. It worked out, although I still have to fiddle with the hose bib I put in by the barn which doesn't seem to want to work. The other hose bibs do work, and water is restored, thankfully.


In the midst of all this I've been continuing with Demon's competition season. We had a good ride at Fire Mountain, followed by a couple good days at Laurel Mountain. The next ride is the Twenty Mule Team 100. 

This one is getting in my head.

In 2013, Hoss finished the Twenty Mule Team 100. It was his first and only 100 mile completion. While he continued to do well in 50s and even the occasional 75, he was pulled in his remaining 100 mile attempts. And it couldn't even be put down to distance. One was the result of me having to shoe him midway through the ride, and he lost one, the other over time into an early vet check, which was down to me believing the dreaded heart rate monitor.

In 2019, Demon completed the Twenty Mule Team 100 mile course as the National Championship 100. He was in fine fettle all day and night. We returned 4 months later, only to pull at the first vet check. And again a year later. And again at the 2021 National Championship ride.

So it's not terribly surprising that I'm a bit psych'd out by this whole thing. I've so far completed 2 100 miles, one on each of my horses. And now it's in the back of my head that that is all I will be allowed, one, 100 mile 1 day ride per horse.

The gremlins have sunk their claws in me.

After Laurel Mountain, I gave Demon a break, then addressed his shoeing again. I decided the studs in his front shoes were not a good solution, so I replaced his front shoes without studs. I also added Equi-Pak CS to help add a little cushion.


I was really glad I'd pulled his shoes. I found an awful lot of dirt crammed up under the toe of the shoes, especially that right front Mike Peralez was staring at so hard. Seems like the debris guard on these composite shoes isn't all that great at keeping out debris. At least the Equi-Pak will keep dirt out of his shoes.

After reshoeing Demon's front feet, we loaded up and had a little ride to check them out. He felt really good and forward, even with a long trot up the East Mesa Fire Road. On the way back down, though, I suddenly had a major cramp in my hamstring. It was bad enough I had to get off, which caused the other one to join in the fun. I ended up sitting on the ground, stretching my legs up against Demon's shoulder, trying to relieve the cramps. I tried to walk it off, only to have the cramping get worse with every step I took. Eventually, I got back on, which turned out to be much better than walking.


By the time we got back to the trailer, the cramps had subsided, but I can't help but wonder if I've gotten the horse sorted only to have something go sideways with the rider.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Hard Work and Endurance Gremlins

 It's been busy at the ranch these days. Shortly after closing, some guy showed up and did an inspection for the insurance company. We t...